Maxthon Kid-Safe Browser FAQ
Getting Started with Kid-Safe Parental Controls
- Q: How do I set up a safe web environment for my child?
To set up your environment take the following steps.
- (1)Create a list of websites you would allow your child to access. (Be sure to check out our ‘default’ safe sites – some of them are quite good.)
- (2)Answer the math problem and enter the correct value of the answer into the field provided. [We added the math step to prevent your child from accidentally setting your parental controls password and losing it.]
- (3)Set your parental control password.
- (4)Enter you ‘safe’ domains into the whitelist.
- Q: What are the websites that come pre-loaded on the browser?
- They are a ‘default’ selection of websites that have received high praise from family watchdog groups for providing safe, stimulating, fun and educational web experiences for kids between the ages of 4 and 9 years old. You can delete one or all of them as you manage your personal white list.
How Maxthon Kid-Safe Works
- Q: How exactly does this browser prevent my kids from seeing unsafe sites?
Maxthon Kid-Safe operates under a slightly different set of rules than other browsers. Instead of blindly fetching every URL clicked-on Maxthon Kid-Safe scans each request (a click on a url for example) and checks it against your list of approved sites. If the domain for the request matches one of the domains you have entered into your white list Maxthon Kid-Safe will make that web page request visible and active. If the domain does not match, Kid-Safe will send a gentle message of, ‘Oops, that website is not allowed. Sorry.” We put the control in your hands – so your child’s web experience can reflect *your* values.
- Q: What if my child goes to one of my ‘safe’ websites discovers a link to an unapproved site and clicks on it? Will they be able to access that unapproved site?
- The same rules apply. Any request that goes to a web page from an unapproved web domain will not be allowed.
Security and Privacy
- Q: How safe and secure is this web browser?
- Maxthon takes your security and privacy very seriously. Maxthon Kids Safe is a variation of Maxthon Mobile for Android and has the same level of security as any Android browser. Actually, it’s a little better. By limiting the number of domains the browser accepts (through your white list) you reduce the risk of phishing attacks.
- Q: Is the Maxthon Kid-Safe browser collecting and sending any usage information to Maxthon or any 3rd parties in the cloud?
- Absolutely not.
- Q: Why do I need a password?
- Let’s face it; kids are usually more adept with technology than parents. The password protects against older children from hacking into the safe site list and younger children from inadvertently turning off or disabling ‘kids mode.’
- Q: What happens if I lose or forget my password?
- If you lose or forget your password you can reset the entire experience by using this reset code: maxthon
- Q: OK, what and who is Maxthon?
- Maxthon is a software and services company with offices in San Francisco, Hong Kong and Beijing. Its crown jewel is the Maxthon 3 desktop browser which continues to set new standards for simplicity, speed and security worldwide. Maxthon also supports custom browsers on the Android platform under the brand Maxthon Mobile. For Android, Maxthon has created 7-inch, 10-inch tablet browsers, a set-top browser and smart phone browsers. Each month more than 130,000,000 people use Maxthon's web browser in 120 countries across the world. Maxthon has also brought its best-of-breed browsing to the Android platform for mobile devices and tablet computers. Maxthon has also created a number of successful web products and portals serving additional 100s of millions of users worldwide. Sometimes we like to joke that we’re the best software and services company you’ve never heard of… As the saying goes, we like to stick to our knitting and make great products. For more information about Maxthon please visit www.maxthon.com.